The Mission of the School District:

Our mission is to cultivate the potential in every student to thrive as a global citizen by inspiring a love of learning and civic engagement, by challenging and supporting every student to achieve academic excellence, and by embracing the full richness and diversity of our community.

Monday, October 13, 2008

What's New- the Referendum

Hello again everyone,

Since you're reading this post, I can assume you've seen my messages or heard about my blog. Great! Thanks for keeping up--- it's imperative that Madison students stay informed, if we want to have a voice in the district, and I think this blog is a great way for me to help out. Please tell all of your friends and peers to check my site out, and please contact me with any questions, ideas, concerns, etc.

This is an exciting and important time for the youth of America, as we watch our country's economy staggering while two radical opposites compete for president. Check out my poll to see what other peers in Madison think of Obama and Mccain, and get involved in the election, even if you can't vote--- this election is our future!

November 4's vote will also be key in determining the future of Madison's schools. Community members of Madison are voting on a referendum to give more money to the school district. Since 1993, our district has had to cap our budget to a certain amount every year, which has increased at much lower rate than expenses- creating a gap in the amount of money we need to sustain our programs and the amount we actually have. 

Our schools have suffered as a result of the budget gap, having to increase class sizes and cut programs all across Madison. It's an unfortunate problem that can only be solved by cutting programs or initiating a referendum. 

The referendum asks tax payers to provide funds to lower the budget gap, and avoid cutting more programs and compromising our education. You can read more about it on the school district website- which has useful information about the fiscal situation, the referendum, and the possible outcomes and their effects on students. 

Please take the time to learn about this referendum and inform your parents and friends- budget cuts have had, and will continue to have, a huge impact on your experience in school. Also- please comment on your opinion, and any questions you may have. 

Thanks!

Sarah



2 comments:

Maxwell GS said...

Ah. I didn't know such a position existed until just recently. I tried West, but after a semester had to request accommodation to finish out the work from my home. There are several reasons for this, but unfortunately law prevents me from stating many of them specifically.

The problems are complex, and not all of them are even within our control as students and teachers. However, there are certainly ways we can take action to dramatically improve the structure that is the foundation of our local education system.

As I have felt a passionate need to reach out to fellow "left-behind" students, I would appreciate it if you would please contact me back whenever possible. Please, because you are essentially the voice of so many students, I would like you to speak up on behalf of me and other students who have ideas for what they want and/or need to happen in their school.

My email address:
max2s2@gmail.com

Also, I should tell you this in case you are interested: I am considering forming a group dedicated to making changes in Madison's school system. We will go about doing this in a socially democratic manner.

If you would like to help me start it, please let me know when you contact me. This is something I have been thinking about for some time now, and I just can't sit around and wait any more!

Thank you very much for representing us.

Good luck and best wishes. I sincerely look forward to hearing from you. Keep us posted!

-- Maxwell Schulte

Maxwell GS said...

We need to get the "old-school" educational traditions out of decision-making in Madison schools. It's also a new age... where people need to be informed. This means parents and children. There will be no more sweeping injustice under the carpet to maintain positive reputation. For example, we cannot dismiss criminal activity at West High School so the "National School of Excellence" banner can stay draped in front of it. I notice what so many others seem not to.

Policies, ideas, teaching methods, assistance, rules, communication...

So many things to fix, improve, adjust, add, remove and replace...

so little time. I have confidence that we can start seeing at least the beginning of some major movements in local education before we may be off to college or pursuing a career.

Cheers once again!